Crane & Rigging Training Quiz
Sometimes we can sharpen our skill and knowledge level with a series of questions which cause us to draw from our experiences with cranes and rigging. Try your hand at the following questions and see how you score. Choose the BEST answer for each question below. (Answers below)
1. Before a rigger can select the length and capacity of slings needed to lift a load, what two things must he know about the load?
a. Height, manufacturer
b. Weight, center of gravity
c. Color, designated pick points
2. A fiber core wire rope has _____ breaking strength than a wire rope with an independent wire rope core.
a. the same
3. Which of the following does not affect the capacity of a wire rope sling?
a. D/d ratio
b. Sling angle
c. Thimbles in sling's eyes
4. Which grade of chain is the only acceptable type for use in chain slings?
a. Transport G-7
b. High test G-4
c. Alloy G-8
d. Proof coil G-3
5. Using a crane scale and test lift method we discover the load's north end weighs 21,000 lbs and the south end weighs 7,000 lbs. If the load is 16 ft in length (north to south) the center-of-gravity is approximately ____ feet from the north end.
6. If a load is to be winched across a flat concrete floor, it should be placed on a skid which has ___ on its underneath side to provide the least friction.
7. The load chain of an electric hoist ____ be wrapped around a load for lifting purposes.
a. should not
c. shall not
8. What is the maximum line pull for a 5-ton snatch block?
a. 2.5 ton
b. 10 ton
c. 5 ton
9. Which angle from horizontal will produce the greatest tension in a sling leg; a 60 degree angle, a 45 degree angle or a 30 degree angle?
a. 60 degrees
b. 45 degrees
c. 30 degrees
10. Which weight in pounds most closely correlates to a cubic foot of steel?
11. Which of the following is not a removal criteria for a synthetic web sling?
a. Worn or broken stitching
b. Illegible or missing tag
c. Severe pliability
12. What is the hand signal to raise the boom of a mobile crane?
a. Thumb up, clenched fist
b. Index finger up
c. Two hands, thumbs pointing towards each other, clenched fists
13. A load rigged with the crane hook 4 ft south of the center of gravity will initially swing ___ upon lift-off.
a. Approximately 4 ft north
b. Approximately 4 ft south
c. Approximately 8 ft south
14. There are three conditions that must be present for a 3-leg sling bridle to have equally tensioned legs: All slings must be equidistant in length. All slings must be equidistant from each other. What is the third condition that must be met?
a. All slings must be fro the same manufacturer
b. All sling connection points must be equidistant to the load's center of gravity
c. All sling connection points must be on the top surface of the load
Happy trails to all my crane and rigging friends,
P.S. This article was originally published in The Professional Rigger Newsletter - Crane & Rigging Quiz. You can view all of ITI's Rigging Training Options here.
Answers to Crane & Rigging Quiz:
Written Exam Sample Questions
These sample questions are intended to convey something of the style and content of the National Operator Certification Program examination developed and administered by the National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators(CCO). They are not actual test questions, nor do they attempt to address all of the areas of knowledge tested on the CCO certification examination. Response to these questions is not necessarily an indication of performance on the CCO examinations.
1. What action does a signal person intend the operator to perform if he extends his arm at shoulder height, makes a fist with his hand, and sticks his thumb up?
a. Boom down
c. Boom up
d. Telescope out
2. Within what percentage of level does a telescopic boom crane have to be for the gross ratings in the load chart to remain valid?
d. It doesn’t matter so long as the outriggers are fully extended and set
3. The load line of the crane you’re operating comes into contact with an energized power line. There’s no sign of any other danger, such as fire. In such a situation, you should:
a. Climb down carefully from the crane cab
b. Jump down, feet together
c. Stay in the cab until the lines are de-energized
d. Get as far away from the crane as possible
4. You’re setting your crane up in a confined area and you cannot fully extend your fourth outrigger. Your crane does not have a load chart for intermediate extension working. In such a situation you should use the capacities in the:
a. on-outriggers load chart
b. on-rubber load chart
c. on-outriggers load chart while being careful not to swing the load over the short outrigger
d. on-outriggers load chart, after shortening all outriggers to the same length as the fourth (short) outrigger
5. According to the B30.5 mobile crane standard, how many randomly distributed broken wires in rotation-resistant rope are cause for considering replacement of the rope?
a. 1 broken wire in 6 rope diameters
b. 2 broken wires in 30 rope diameters
c. 3 broken wires in one strand in one lay
d. 2 broken wires in 6 rope diameters
6. Unless the manufacturer states otherwise, the net capacity of a crane on main boom is the capacity listed in the load chart:
a. minus the weight of the rigging and all attachments
b. plus the weight of the rigging and all attachments
c. minus the weight of the rigging and all attachments not in use
d. minus the weight of the rigging alone
7. Unless the operator takes account of boom deflection, when lifted off the ground, a properly rigged load may:
a. swing out away from the crane
b. swing in towards the crane
c. raise absolutely vertically
d. shift in its rigging
8. Which is the most common cause of death to crane operators?
b. Falls from the crane getting on and off
c. Crane turnover
9. According to the B30.5 mobile crane standard, it’s OK for an operator to leave the cab of a crane with the engine running so long as:
a. the operator keeps the crane in view and restricts access to the area around the crane
b. the operator has at least four years experience
c. the crane is equipped with a fire extinguisher
d. it’s never OK
10. An operator should respond to a “stop” signal from:
a. appointed signal person only
b. project manager only
c. superintendent only
11. Unless the manufacturer states otherwise, truck cranes generally have no lifting capacity over which area?
a. the side
b. the rear
c. the front
d. the outriggers
12. “Working radius” is defined as the distance from the:
a. base of the boom to the center of the load
b. front of the crane to the center of gravity of the load
c. center of rotation of the crane to the center of the load
d. center of rotation of the crane to the center of gravity of the load
13. If a bold line is shown on a load chart, the capacities below the line:
a. are based on the structural strength of the crane
b. must not be used
c. are based on the stability of the crane
d. should only be used if the crane is set up on outriggers
14. Rough terrain crane capacities are generally greater over the:
c. right side
d. left side
15. According to federal requirements, under what conditions is it OK for a person to ride the headache ball?
a. when there is no other way to gain access
b. when the lift has been approved by an engineer
c. when other means would be more dangerous
d. it is never OK
16. On duty cycle operations, such as skipping concrete, most manufacturers require a crane’s load chart capacity to be reduced by:
17. Boom length is measured from the:
a. base of the boom to the center of the boom tip sheave.
b. boom hinge pins to the boom tip.
c. boom hinge pins to the center of the boom tip sheave.
d. base of the boom to the boom tip.
18. Using the preferred method of installing wire rope from a reel onto a hoist drum, the rope runs from the:
a. top of the reel to the bottom of the drum.
b. bottom of the reel to the top of the drum.
c. top of the reel to the top of the drum.
d. There is no preferred method.
19. Truck crane capacities are usually greater over the:
c. front right outrigger.
20. A truck crane is set up on outriggers. The part of the load chart governed by stability is based on what percentage of the crane’s capacity?
21. According to OSHA, accessible areas of the operating crane must always be barricaded within:
a. the swing radius of the crane
b. the carbody or chassis
c. the swing radius of the rear of the rotating superstructure
d. the distance between the carbody or chassis and the boom tip
22. What is the OSHA regulation governing cranes in construction?
23. A crack in the windshield of a crane cab is OK so long as:
a. it causes no visible distortion that would interfere with safe operations
b. it is less than 6 inches long
c. the windshield is replaced on the next annual inspection
d. it is never OK
24. OSHA permits hoisting of personnel by crane so long as:
a. the prevailing wind speed is less than 35 mph
b. there is no less hazardous or practicable way
c. all personnel have CPR training
d. no aerial work platform is available
25. A crane is set up with 3 of its 4 outriggers fully extended and the fourth retracted. Unless the manufacturer states otherwise, the capacity of the crane in this configuration will be found in the:
a. on-outrigger chart
b. on-rubber chart
c. on-outrigger chart minus 20%
d. on-rubber chart plus 20%
26. When lifting personnel, the total weight of the loaded personnel platform must not exceed what percentage of the rated capacity of the crane?
27. Side loading of crane booms is permitted:
a. when the operator says it’s OK.
b. so long as no jib is installed.
c. only when the outriggers are fully extended.
d. only with freely suspended loads.
28. If the operator makes two audible signals when moving a crane, he/she intends to:
b. back up.
c. go ahead.
d. stop (emergency).
29. If a crane’s load moment indicator (LMI) malfunctions, the operator should:
a. cease crane operations and report the condition to the supervisor.
b. turn it off and continue as if the LMI were not installed.
c. make mathematical allowances for any error.
d. attempt to repair the fault.
30. Blocking (cribbing) may be placed under outrigger beams:
a. when beams cannot be extended all the way out.
b. to increase capacity.
c. to improve stability.
31. Timber blocking placed under the tips of the tracks on a crawler crane will:
a. increase the permitted capacity of the crane
b. make the crane more stable
c. reduce the capacity of the crane
d. make the crane less stable
32. If a load test is done on a repaired crane, the load must not exceed what percentage of the manufacturer’s crane rating?
33. When handling boom sections, the best place for slings to be attached is:
a. at the pin connection points at the ends of the top chords
b. at the lattice members
c. anywhere on the top chords
d. at the pin connection points at the ends of the bottom chords
34. The tipping axis of a crawler crane:
a. is always at the centerline of the idler or sprocket
b. depends if the idler or sprocket are in line or offset from the track rollers
c. is through the centerline of the crane cab
d. is through the boom butt section
35. Materials placed under overhead energized power lines should:
a. be dragged out
b. lifted as normal
c. not be lifted by crane
d. handled with extra care
36. The hand signal depicted is instructing the operator to:
a. boom up
b. boom down
c. telescope in
d. hoist up
37. When working at ground floor level near a cellar wall, the crane’s outrigger pads or tracks should be placed:
a. as close as possible to the wall
b. at least as far back as the depth of the wall below ground
c. at a distance at least half the depth of the cellar wall below ground
d. anywhere, since the wall is unaffected by the weight of the crane
38. When setting a crane up on outriggers, the wheels of the crane should:
a. just touch the ground
b. be as high as possible off the ground
c. be just high enough off the ground to relieve the tires of crane weight
d. stay firmly on the ground to support the crane
39. If you move a crawler crane from soft ground to harder ground, ground bearing pressure will:
b. decrease by a third
c. remain the same
d. decrease by half
40. Rotation-resistant rope can be used with a swivel:
c. if the rope manufacturer approves
d. if the operator decides it’s OK
41. On pick and carry operations, you should:
a. keep the boom as short as possible
b. keep the load as high above the ground as possible
c. ensure the load is as far from the carrier/carbody as possible
d. use maximum boom length
42. On a crawler crane, ground bearing pressure is greatest:
a. over the right side
b. over the end
c. over the corner
d. over the left side
43. When preparing to hoist a light load, the hook should be positioned:
a. slightly to the side you’re planning to swing to
b. slightly to the side opposite you plan to swing to
c. directly above the load’s center of gravity
d. above the edge of the load closest to the crane
44. According to ASME B30.5, when working around power lines of more than 750kV, how much clearance is generally required from any part of the crane and its load?
a. 35 ft.
b. 30 ft.
c. 45 ft.
d. 25 ft.
45. You plan to pick a load you are told weighs 36,500 lbs. Line pull on the crane you are operating is 9,000 lbs. How many parts of line will you need?
46. If a jib is erected but not being used to lift the load, you should make a deduction from the gross capacities listed in the load chart based on:
a. the actual weight of the jib
b. the effective weight of the jib
c. nothing, since the jib is not in use
d. the difference between the crane’s actual weight and its effective weight
47. When the boom length of the crane falls between the lengths listed in the load chart, you should use the capacity listed for:
a. the next longest boom length
b. the next shortest boom length
c. a length estimated between the lengths in the chart
d. the next longest or the next shortest boom length, whichever is the lower capacity
48. It’s OK to temporarily bypass a crane’s overload warning system:
a. when a supervisor tells you to
b. when the load to be lifted exceeds the capacity in the chart
d. during assembly/disassembly operations
49. On a crawler crane, the part of the load chart governed by stability is based on what percentage of its capacity?
50. As you boom down, the leverage of the load on the crane will:
c. stay the same
d. depends on the weight of the load being lifted
- Used cat carriers for sale
- 7 prong trailer wiring kit
- 310e john deere backhoe specs
- 706 bbc engine for sale
NCCCO Mobile Crane Practice Test For Certification
RIGGER SIGNAL PERSON TRAINING
Effective November 2010, OSHA requires a signal person be present …
Refresher training is required once every three years!
AERIAL WORK PLATFORM (AWP) TRAINING
“Only trained persons shall operate aerial lifts” – OSHA 1910.67(c)
START YOUR CREW’S ON-SITE TRAINING!
Total Equipment Training offers NCCCO Mobile Crane Certification training and test prep for both the written and practical exams. We provide training on-site using your equipment which your operators are familiar with. On-site training saves time and money.
Welcome to your FREE NCCCO MOBILE CRANE PRACTICE TESTS. Additional practice tests and study materials are available for testing.
QUESTIONS OF NCCCO MOBILE CRANE PRACTICE CCO TEST
Yulina and Katya's juices were mixed on it, but this did not bother her at all. Disgusted in everyday life, in pastels, the girls gave out something that was breathtaking. Having sucked me a little, Julia sent a member to her sister.
Test questions and answers crane
I went to the door and listened, water gurgled and little was heard, but after two minutes I heard a muffled. Groan. Well, I thought, I'll ruin her fun. I knocked on the door and said I greedily licked Lida's pussy, standing with cancer between her legs. Masha, meanwhile, lowered her panties and rubbed her pussy with her fingers.NCCCO Written Exam Mobile Crane Online Training Prep Kit
Yes, Lena used to take some liberties, such as allowing the guy to touch her buttocks during the dance, or flirting. And I allowed her to do this, because I know that she only loves me. Four friends decided to go to the. Forest for mushrooms and berries, Marina 18 slender brown-eyed brunette height 174 chest 2, Mila 17 very thin brown-eyed blonde height 156 chest 5, Liliana 18 slender gray-eyed brown-haired woman height 168 breast 3, Nastya (Marina's sister) 14 slender blue-eyed brunette height 155 chest 2.
You will also like:
- Coursera specialization vs professional certificate
- Aloha with love hallmark movie
- Hot rod corvette for sale
- Black acrylic nails with gold
- Apple watch notification sound download
- Fishing rod building starter kit
- Giant reign 29 for sale
- Sky disc 17 pack
I put one hand on her stomach, the other on her chest, making her understand that at the moment she is not the master of her body. I loved that. I took her by the hair and began to sharply enter her over and over again, she only moaned like the last.