Chainsaw Buying Guide
You don’t have to watch horror movies to have a healthy fear of chainsaws. These formidable tools are involved in more than 27,000 accidents annually, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. The most common injuries are lacerations, particularly to the arms and legs, and some of the most serious injuries occur when the saw’s chain snags and kicks back toward the operator’s chest and head. Chainsaws now have safeguards, including an automatic chain brake, that are designed to reduce the hazard of kickbacks. But even if you have a model that’s fully loaded with safety features, you need to take some safety precautions.
Start with snug-fitting clothing and sturdy work boots, preferably steel-toed. Shield your legs with cut-resistant chaps and the backs of your hands with protective gloves, and wear a helmet with a face shield. You’ll also need hearing protection because practically all saws, including electric models, exceed the 85-decibel level at which hearing damage can occur.
Get a Grip and Stay Grounded
Grip gas-powered saws firmly when pull-starting and keep the saw on the ground; most handles include a spot for securing the saw with one foot while pulling the starter cord. Never saw while on a ladder or use the saw above shoulder height. If you must cut above shoulder height, use an electric lopper, whose encased cutting jaw makes it safer to use than a chainsaw, or hire a pro. And never saw using the tip of the chain and bar, where kickback can occur.
Maintenance Is Key
Upkeep is also an important factor in chainsaw safety. A chain that’s properly sharpened, tensioned, and oiled speeds cutting and helps prevent kickback while reducing wear on the chain and the bar on which it rides. A chain that’s too loose can also slip off the bar and toward the operator as it spins.
While most injuries associated with chainsaws are lacerations and amputations, all gasoline-powered tools produce carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that’s potentially fatal. Never run a gasoline-powered tool indoors or in any enclosed space.
The 9 Best Gas Chainsaws on The Market For Your DIY or Landscaping Project
Gas chainsaws are must-have tool for a professional lumberjack, DIY landscapers and gardeners.
Compared to electric chainsaw or battery chainsaws, gas-powered ones are more powerful and efficient in terms of run time, cutting speed, mobility.
Some gas chainsaws are suitable for handling heavy-duty tasks like felling, bucking large trees. While some are more maneuverable making them suitable for pruning and trimming.
In order to choose the best gas chainsaw, you have to consider certain factors. Some of them are mentioned below…
- Guide Bar or Blade Length: Length of blade and chain determines how thick of wood piece can the chainsaw cut. Blade length of chainsaws ranges from 12 to 17 inches. For residential purposes or casual lumberjack, 12 to 20 inches is suitable. For professional-grade and heavy-duty works, we recommend to go for 20 inches or above.
- Engine Size/Power: A large engine means it has more power to handle any tasks. Small engines are easier to move so they are perfect for pruning and trimming tasks. To know the engine power, you have to check the CC rating or capacity of the engine. For simpler tasks, 24cc to 46cc is suitable. For heavy-duty tasks, you can go for 60cc engine.
We have mentioned a detail guide on bar length, engine and tasks they can handle in our “Buying Guide”. It also has other information like anti-vibration feature, safety features, throttle, kickback and warranty. Read it carefully to make an informed choice.
A list of the popular and best gas chainsaws for home use and professional use is also provided below for your reference.
Top Gas Chainsaws 2021
Best Gas Chainsaw Reviews
1. Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw
Husqvarna is one of the oldest and the most popular gas-powered chainsaw brands in the market. The brand offers lawn maintenance equipment including mowers, leaf blowers, trimmers, and chainsaws.
Husqvarna’s gas chainsaw uses a 24 inches blade powered by a 60.3cc gas engine. It offers a maximum power speed of 9,000 rpm. This makes this the most powerful chainsaw with the largest blade on our list. With this blade length and power, you can easily cut huge logs of wood or entire trees within a few minutes.
It has a 2-cycle engine with a chain brake that is activated by inertia. When there is a pushback or you can not control the chainsaw, the blade will automatically stop rotating. With a capacity of 0.7 US pint, you will have enough fuel to complete all your cutting tasks.
The chainsaw uses an automatic chain oiler delivery system. You do not have to pour oil on the saw or the chain. The chainsaw will take care of this and supply oil to the saw and chain to prevent components failure.
The chain is mounted on the side that helps in adjusting it easily when needed. Besides, the air filter can be cleaned easily or replaced.
The chainsaw comes with a 3 years warranty from the date of purchase.
- 24 inches blade – the largest on our list
- Powered by 60.3cc gas engine
- Offers 9,000 rpm
- 2-cycle engine with an inertia activated chain brake
- Decent fuel capacity with 0.7 US pint
- Automatic chain oiler delivery system
- 3 years warranty
- Most powerful chainsaw with the largest blade
- Inertia activated chain brake ensures safety while operating it
- Easy to adjust the chain
- High warranty period
- Not ideal for beginners due to high power
Buy Now From Amazon
2. Wemars Gas Chainsaw
Wemars is a popular manufacturer of power tools, home improvement tools, and garden and lawn equipment. Wemars’ chainsaw is a powerful option that is ideal for your lumber cutting needs.
This gas chainsaw runs on a powerful 58cc engine that drives a large 20-inch blade for efficient cutting. With the 2-stroke motor and integrated chain brake, the chainsaw offers you a smooth and stable operation. Besides, the low-kickback feature ensures that you can cut even hardwood smoothly and effortlessly.
The chainsaw comes with a guide bar using which you can make precision cuts. Thanks to the adjustable chain oil feed, you can easily adjust the tension of the chain. Besides, there is a knob-type automatic tightening function that helps to deliver an effective cutting performance.
Wemars’ gas chainsaw features an ergonomically balanced design with anti-vibration and cushion-wrapped handles. This prevents hand fatigue even when you operate the saw for a long time. Additionally, this also helps you to achieve precision cuts.
With an effective filter system and automatic lubrication system, the chainsaw is less prone to wear and damage. The air filter filter has a quick release filter that allows you to clean and replace the air filter conveniently.
Although you have to pull the cord to start the chainsaw, it starts quickly within a few pulls. There is an integrated chain brake system that stops the blade almost instantly to prevent accidents.
There is no warranty period specified on the product page.
- Runs on 2-stroke 58cc engine
- Uses a large 20-inch blade
- Low kickback safety function
- Automatic chain lubrication
- Adjustable chain oil feed
- Automatic knob-type tightening function
- Cushion-wrapped handles with anti-vibration feature
- Quick-release air filter
- Offers a high power for your cutting tasks
- Low kickback
- Resists wear and damage
- Easy to start and operate
- No information on warranty
- Multiple complaints of defective oiler feed
Buy Now From Amazon
3. Remington Gas Chainsaw
Remington is popularly known for manufacturing and selling grooming kits for men and women. One division of the brand focuses on gas and electric chainsaws. The brand has been in operation since 1937.
Remington’s gas chainsaw uses a 46cc gasoline engine to power the 18 inches blade. With this powerful 2-cycle engine, you experience less vibration. Besides, the blade uses a low-kickback chain that allows you to cut even hardwood very easily.
This gas chainsaw will make short work of your lawn care, yard work, and other wood/tree cutting tasks.
It is lightweight yet heavy-duty. The chainsaw is also easy to start with the quickstart technology. The handle is wrapped with a cushion to provide comfort. All in all, the chainsaw is easy to start, carry, and operate.
On top of this, it has a 5-point vibration system that will reduce the vibration while the chain is running. The automatic oiler ensures that the chain gets an adequate amount of oil. This will make the blade sharp and allow you to cut materials smoothly.
You get a heavy-duty case along with the gas chainsaw to carry the saw.
Remington backs this gas chainsaw with a 2 years limited warranty. Besides, the brand offers reliable and friendly customer service to resolve your queries.
- Powered by a 2-cycle 46cc engine
- Uses an 18 inches blade
- Lightweight and Quickstart technology
- 5-point vibration system
- Automatic oiler
- Comes with a heavy-duty case
- 2-years limited warranty
- Offers decent power for cutting tasks
- Low kickback and less vibration
- Easy to start, carry, and operate
- Decent warranty period and reliable customer service
- Have to adjust the chain frequently
- Have to sharp the blade often
Buy Now From Amazon
4. Craftsman Gas Chainsaw
Craftsman does not need any introduction. It is a household name when it comes to power tools. The brand is regarded highly for manufacturing and selling reliable power tools at affordable prices.
Craftsman’s gas chainsaw comes with a 16 inches bar that is powered by a 42cc full crank 2-cycle engine. With this power, you can cut wood and other materials in a short time without any vibration. Besides, the chainsaw comes with a low kickback chain. So, you can even the hardest of woods without any difficulties.
Unlike other chainsaws on our list, Craftsman’s chainsaw allows you to adjust the amount of oil that is poured on the chain. So, the chain will get the ideal amount of lubricant without any wastage.
The chainsaw has an easystart technology that allows you to easily pull the cord and get right to work. Besides, the chainsaw is lightweight and has a 3-point anti-vibration system. This helps to handle and maneuver the saw easily for your cutting tasks.
The chainsaw uses an inertia-activated brake that stops the chain automatically if you lose control. You do not need any tools to open the air filter or spark plug. This helps to maintain the saw without any difficulties.
With this chainsaw, you get a heavy-duty carrying case and 2-cycle oil.
Craftsman backs this gas chainsaw with a 2 years limited warranty from the date of purchase.
- Powered by 42cc full crank 2-cycle engine
- Uses 16 inches bar with a low kickback chain
- Easystart technology
- Inertia-activated brake
- Lightweight durable poly chassis
- Adjustable auto-chain oiler
- 3-point anti-vibration system
- Comes with a heavy-duty case and 2-cycle oil
- 2 years limited warranty
- Large-sized blade and powerful engine makes cutting tasks easier
- Easy to handle and maneuver
- Less vibration
- Stops automatically if you lose control
- Difficult to start if left unused for some time
- Some areas are made of plastic that damages easily
Buy Now From Amazon
5. Homdox Gas Chainsaw
Homdox is a manufacturer of home and kitchen appliances. The brand specializes in developing products with a good design and visually aesthetic appearance.
Homdox’s gas chainsaw runs on a 58cc gas chainsaw to deliver high power to the 20 inches bar. With this power and blade size, you can use saw for heavy-duty jobs such as felling trees, cutting firewood, and storm-cleanup. The low kickback chain ensures that you do not injure yourself during the cutting process.
It is easy to install and dismantle the chainsaw with the help of the instructions manual. Starting the chainsaw is also easy, thanks to the big rope wheel that reduces half the resistance while pulling it.
The handle is covered with a soft rubber that gives you a good grip and helps to handle the saw conveniently. You will not feel any vibrations while operating it. The chain has shrapnels at periodic intervals to secure it against the saw. There is also a safety throttle switch to prevent accidental starting of the saw.
It comes with the standard automatic oil supply system for lubricating the chain. The chain has a quick-stop brake that stops the saw almost instantly. There is also a front guard plate that you can use for emergency braking.
Along with the chainsaw, you get 2 spark plugs, a fuel mixing bottle, tool kit, carrying bag, and user manual.
There is no warranty mentioned for the specific chainsaw but Homdox’s gasoline chainsaws generally come with a 2 years warranty.
- Runs on a powerful 58cc engine
- Uses a large 20 inches bar with a low-kickback chain
- Soft rubber handle for comfort
- Big rope wheel for easy start
- Automatic oil supply system
- Quick-stop brake and front guard plate for emergency braking
- Comes with 2 spark plugs, a fuel mixing bottle, and a tool kit
- Powerful engine and large blade makes it ideal for big cutting projects
- East to start
- Soft rubber handle increases grip and reduces vibration
- Good braking system ensures safety
- You have to assemble the saw
- Warranty period is not specified on the product’s page
Buy Now From Amazon
6. Coocheer Gas Chainsaw
Coocheer is another popular brand that develops high performance gas-powered chainsaws. The brand pays more attention to its product quality and efficiency.
This is another powerful gas chainsaw that runs on a 62cc engine with 3.5 HP. The motor generates up to 8,500 RPM that delivers a high power to the large 20-inch cutting blade. With this power and blade size, you can make short work of all your lumbar cutting needs. The low kick-back chain gives you more control and helps you cut hard trees effortlessly.
As the chainsaw is powered by a 2-stroke engine, it consumes less power and releases lower emissions compared to other gas-powered chainsaws.
The gas chainsaw comes with an effective air filter system that prevents dust particles from entering into the engine. The automatic chain oiler lubricates the chain automatically when needed and ensures proper working of the chainsaw. Unlike other gas chainsaws that turn-off at high temperatures due to continuous usage, you can keep operating this chainsaw.
Although the gas chainsaw comes dis-assembled, you can easily assemble it within a few minutes. The spring-assisted pull cord along with the easy-to-use knob makes it convenient to start and operate the chainsaw.
The chainsaw is made of ABS plastic materials that make it lightweight yet durable. The body of the saw along with the blade can withstand high temperatures without sustaining any damage. There is a luxury handle and a valve throttle switch for easy and safe operation.
Coocheer has used an imported chain that has good wear resistance and lasts 5 times longer than ordinary chains. Furthermore, the chain is protected from damage and rusting by the guide plate sets.
No information regarding warranty has been specified on the product page.
- Runs on 2-stroke 62cc engine
- 3.5 HP motor delivering 8,500 RPM
- Uses a large 20-inch blade
- Automatic chain lubrication system
- Superior air filter system
- Made of durable ABS plastic
- Imported chain with wear resistant feature
- Valve throttle switch for safety
- Heavy duty saw with a powerful motor
- Easy and safe to use
- Durable and lasts longer
- Lower emission levels
- Difficult to get a replacement chain
- Warranty period is not specified
Buy Now From Amazon
7. Salem Master Gas Chainsaw
Salem Master is a relatively small brand. But has gained a reputation for developing reliable power tools at affordable costs. The brand has only a limited number of products in its portfolio including gas powered tools, lithium-ion tools, and their relevant accessories.
Salem Master’s gas chainsaw is powered by a 62cc engine that has 3.4hp and delivers a steady speed of 8,500 RPM. This power makes the chainsaw ideal for cutting felling trees and firewood with a high efficiency. Furthermore, the low kick-back chain and the large 20-inch blade makes short work of your lumbar cutting tasks.
The gas chainsaw comes with a superior quality chain and high hardness bar that allows you to cut hard trees effortlessly. Besides, they offer a high resistance against wear and prolong the service life of the chainsaw.
The gas chainsaw features an ergonomic design that includes a comfortable handle with shock-absorbing and non-slip features. These features ensure that you can operate the chainsaw for a long time without experiencing any hand fatigue.
With the automatic oil supply system, the chain and bar get a steady supply of oil that provides an effective cutting experience. The air filter system makes it easy to clean the saw and replace the chain if it becomes dull. Besides, the air filter is made of fabric that prevents the entry of dust and prolongs the life of the chainsaw.
Considering the safety of the users, Salem Master has equipped this saw with a quick stop chain brake and a safety switch. These features allow you to stop the blade immediately and prevent the saw from turning on accidentally.
While the warranty period is not specified on the product page, Salem Master offers a 2-year warranty on all its gas chainsaws from the date of purchase.
- Powered by 62cc gas engine
- 3.4 HP motor delivering 8,500 RPM
- Comes with a large 20-inch blade
- Automatic oil supply system
- Comfortable handle with shock-absorbing and non-slip features
- Quick stop chain brake
- Safety valve switch
- 2 years warranty period
- Powerful engines
- Reduces vibrations and shocks
- Strong and durable
- Decent warranty period
- Assembling can be a bit tricky
- Takes time to start if left unused
Buy Now From Amazon
8. Echo Gas Chainsaw
Echo is a reliable brand that uses professional high-grade components to build chainsaws. The brand uses advanced technology such as pro-fire ignition and vibration reduction technology to provide comfort and safety to the users.
Echo’s gasoline chainsaw runs on a 40.2cc engine that delivers steady power to an 18 inches bar. Even though it is not the most powerful engine, it still delivers sufficient power for cutting trees, felling, and lawn maintenance.
The bar is smaller compared to other options on our list. If you want to cut trees of large size, you can replace this with a 20 or 22 inches bar. But, you have to ensure that the new bar is compatible with the model. As for the power requirements, the 40.2cc engine will deliver enough power to drive bars of up to 22 inches in size.
The chainsaw is lightweight and you can easily carry it and maneuver it to cut trees, wood, and other materials. In spite of being light, the chainsaw is made of durable materials to withstand any damage.
The chainsaw comes fully assembled. You can directly get to work as soon as you receive the package. The engine is easy to start by simply pulling the cord.
Apart from this, maintaining the saw is also pretty simple. It is easy to adjust the chain and you can also remove the air filter when not in use. The chainsaw comes with engine oil that is poured on the chain to ensure the long-lasting of the chain.
The seller has not mentioned the warranty period. In general, Echo’s gas chainsaws come with a 5 years warranty from the date of purchase.
- Powered by 40.2cc engine
- Uses an 18 inches bar
- Lightweight and durable
- Comes pre-assembled
- Comes with engine oil
- Easy start engine
- Very reliable
- Offers a decent amount of power
- Easy to start and operate
- Easy to maintain
- Bar size could have been more
Buy Now From Amazon
9. Poulan Pro Gas Chainsaw
Populan Pro is another popular brand that is known for manufacturing lawn/yard maintenance equipment and battery products. Some of its popular products include lawnmowers, blowers, and chainsaws.
Populan Pro’s gas chainsaw offers a decent amount of power from its 42cc engine for your cutting needs. It has an 18 inches bar that can cut small to medium-sized wood. This power and bar size make the saw perfect for felling trees, cutting firewood, and storm cleanup.
Populan Pro has used its patented technology OxyPower to generate incredible power with reduced fuel consumption and lower emission. The fuel will last longer and you will be spending very little on the fuel. Besides, you will also be doing your part to develop a greener environment.
The pull cord is assisted by a spring to help you start the engine soon. You do not have to waste your energy and time in pulling the cord. The engine will start with fewer cord-pulls.
The gasoline chainsaw has an ergonomic design with a superior anti-vibration system. Even if you operate the chainsaw for long hours, you will not get tired. There will be minimal vibration. Besides, the controls are easy to access.
The automatic oiler does its part in lubricating the bar and chain to prevent wear and extend the life. The air filtering system will prevent dust from entering the engine and reducing efficiency.
The chainsaw comes with an integrated onboard scrench with a snap-lock cover. You can easily access the chain tensioning component without using any tools.
Populan Pro provides a 1-year warranty to all its gasoline chainsaws.
- Runs on a 42cc engine
- Uses 18 inches bar
- Patented OxyPower technology
- Spring-assisted pull cord
- Automatic oiler and air filtering system
- Onboard scrench
- 1-year warranty
- Suitable for medium-duty tasks
- Consumes less fuel and generates lower emissions
- Starts within a few pulls of the cord
- Can access the inner parts without tools
- Performance drops over time
- Warranty period could have been more
Buy Now From Amazon
How To Choose The Best Gas Chainsaw?
If you are beginner in purchasing a new chainsaw, then it can be confusing to shortlist. So, you have to consider some factors while choosing a chainsaw. We have mentioned some of them below which help you decide which gas chainsaw works best for you.
1. Blade Length Guide
Blade length is sometimes referred as guide bar. It determines the area where the chain is connected to and spins in order to chop the wood. This is the foremost factor to consider while purchasing a gas chainsaw.
In order to determine how thick wood piece can the chainsaw handle, then you have to look at length of blade and chain. Guide bars are available on several lengths but gas chainsaws only come in between 12 to 72 inches range.
For residential purposes and casual lumberjack, 12 to 20inches chainsaw is ideal. For professional use, 20 inches and above is recommended.
To determine which one exactly suits you, we recommend to consider general thumb rule which states that chainsaw blade has to be at least 2 inches larger than wood you want to chop. It provides proper clearance and prevents any potential injuries from kickback which occurs due to sudden thrust of saw blade backs towards the user.
For your reference, we have provided a table that represents tasks and its suitable bar length/blade
Here are common gas chainsaw guide bar lengths and their associated tasks:
|Chainsaw Task||Guide Bar Length (inches)|
|Trimming||16 or less|
|Pruning||12 or less|
|Limbing||12 to 14|
|Felling a small tree||12 to 14|
|Felling a medium tree||16 to 18|
|Light firewood cutting||14 to 16|
|Medium firewood cutting||16 to 18|
|Bucking||18 or larger|
|Felling large trees and|
slicing thicker logs
|20 to 24|
It represents the engine size. The basic thumb rule to remember is higher the number, powerful the engine is. Efficient engines can handle heavy and demanding tasks like felling large trees. However, remember that, more the power, heavy the machine will weigh.
If you want to maneuver around a lot or have only light to moderate tasks, small engines are suitable. The easiest way to check the power of a given chainsaw is to look at the CC rating or capacity of an engine. You can find gas chainsaw options with 40 CC or 60 CC engines as two of the most popular options. And as you would expect, a 60 CC engine will perform than a 40 CC one.
For occasional usage and residential purposes, chainsaw between 24cc to 64cc of power is suitable. If need chainsaw for heavy-duty cutting, it is better to consult professional rather than doing yourself.
To provide clear guidelines, we have provided a table below which represents suitable chainsaw power based on the task.
|Task||Chainsaw Power Required|
|Small tree felling||30cc to 40cc|
|Medium tree felling||45cc and higher|
|Large logs (bucking)||50cc and higher|
|Light firewood (under 10”)||35cc to 45cc|
|Medium firewood (10”-16”)||40cc to 50cc|
Note: Apart from that, some gas chainsaws might have their engine power mentioned in horsepower as 2.5 HP or 3.5 HP. As you would expect, a 3.5 HP engine will perform better than a 2.5 HP one. If your chainsaw has a powerful gas engine, you can easily cut through trees without any issues and get clean cuts.
3. Blade Speed
A lot of power tools have their blade or tool head speed mentioned. And this is quite important to know as a higher motor or tool speed generally results in a much better performance. Similarly, chainsaws also have their blade speed mentioned in either RPM or FPS. While RPM stands for rounds per minute and relates to the motor or the engine, FPS stands for feet per minute that tells you the speed at which the chain of your chainsaw is moving.
You can find options like 4000 RPM or 5000 RPM gas chainsaws and 30 FPS or 40 FPS gas chainsaws out there. And as you would expect, the chainsaw options with a blade speed of 5000 RPM or 40 FPS will offer better performance. This results in cleaner cuts and allows you to quickly and easily cut trees and tree branches using your chainsaw.
4. Oiler Type
Lubrication is an important thing to consider as it keeps the chain and blade workable. They prevent the components from getting damaged or overheated. The process of oiling chair and bar is different from one chainsaw to another. Basically, there are three types of oiling methods. No method is specifically better than the other. It depends on the style you are comfortable with. Below we have provided a clear description of each oiling type.
- Manual Oiler – In this process, a button is used to oil the chain and bar. This way lets you control the oiling and amount of lubrication.
- Automatic Oiler (fixed) – Also known as self-oiling system, it will provide lubrication to chainsaw components constantly. The flow cannot be adjusted.
- Automatic Oiler (adjustable) – Like above option, it is a self-oiling system but it also comes with the option of adjusting the lubrication. It ensures a steady flow of oil to the chain and bar. Due to the ability of increasing or decreasing the oil amount, it is the best from above two.
5. Chain Brake System
Even if you have several years of experience, at some point, you may experience some kickback. It determines sudden rotational thrust of chainsaw blade towards the user. This kickback can cut the upper regions, especially the face.
It usually happens in situations where the chain tip catches with a hard object or when the chain gets pinched between wood while chopping.
To avoid any potential injuries, it is better to have choose a model with chain brake system. It is actually a safety mechanism that prevents the chain from spinning when kickback occurs. This features comes in two types – inertia-activated and manual.
- Manual Chain Brake – The chain comes to stop when physical contact happens with wide bar (which is usually situated in front of the top handlebar. Actually, this bar will hit up the wrist in order to start the chain brake.
- Intertia-Activated Chain Brake – When a sudden upward force bar is encountered, chain will stop spinning. This option doesn’t require any physical contact in order to start the chain brake. It usually operates from an internal mechanism.
In terms of safety, both of them are good enough while operating gas powered chainsaw. But among the two options, activated chain brake option is the advanced version. However, this option can add more bucks to the price.
6. Chain Tensioner Type
Chainsaw chains handles very hard tasks. So, you have to adjust them regularly. This is even more important for new chainsaws. As the chain is fresh, they are more prone to stretching.
Every chainsaw has a certain way to adjust itself to the tension. There are two popular chain tensioner types that include – options that includes special tool and option that hasn’t. Let’s see how these two options work…
- Scrench Chain Tensioner – Scrench is a combination of wrench and screwdriver. It is used to tighten or loosen the chain by adjusting the screw or bolt.
- Tool-Less Chain Tensioner – This option doesn’t require any sort of tool. Actually, the chain tension is adjusted using a knob. This is why it has got the name tool-less.
7. Buckling Spikes
People who have to deal with heavy tree cutting or pruning stuff usually prefer gas chainsaws. If you are choosing the same option, then we recommend to have a look at buckling spikes feature. They represent sharp metal spikes which connect the chainsaw body at the blade base.
You have to dig them into the tree trunk in order to support the machine while chopping. The bucking spike feature lets you chop or cut trees more easily. It performs straight cuts and adds protection source against kickback.
Common handle types available with chainsaws is top and rear. Rear handle chainsaws are suitable for ground tasks. Top handle types are specially designed for tasks where the person has to climb up a tree or an elevated platform for pruning or cutting.
9. Anti-Vibration Features
This feature reduces the vibrations which are often experienced while operating a chainsaw. It will let the user to work for longer times. It reduces the discomfort and minimize the numbness.
10. Spring-Assist Starting
Having a gas chainsaw that requires countless pulls to get the machine start is pretty annoying. In order to avoid such issues, it is better to have spring assist starting. This feature decreases the pulling force that is required in order to start the machine. This actually makes the process much easier.
11. Throttle Lock
This factors will force you to operate the throttle lock to use the chainsaw. This actually prevents the unintentional operation.
Weight is actually pretty important factor when it comes to purchasing a chainsaw. Before analyzing the options, you have to check how long you intend to use the chainsaw and how heavy the chainsaw is. Initially, 12 pounds of weight may seem not so difficult but it can add more weight as the time passes like if you use it continuously for 30 minutes. Proper weight distribution is also important while analyzing the product weight.
Metal is obviously the sturdier and trust-worthy option as it provides better longevity. However, they are much expensive. But if you are on a budget, then we recommend to go for a polycarbonate build. If you can afford, then it is always better to go for metal versions.
14. Attachment Compatibility
As woodworking tasks can be diverse, it is better to purchase a chainsaw that comes with several attachments that are specially designed for different purposes. For example, debarkers clean the logs in order to prepare it for cutting. Milling machines lets you cut the wood into planks, beams and structural boards. Few saws come with capability to attach poles that result in extended reach. It can be bought as separate machine when your requirement is trimming or pruning higher areas of the tree.
Few gas-powered chainsaws come with extra set of features like heated handlers, mufflers, air filte, spark plug, stop control, exhaust air cleaning system and others. If having certain factors make the process much easier, then why not opt for chainsaw model with them.
16. Popularity Ratings
Checking out the user reviews to know the performance of the chainsaw. Several people fall to the marketing tricks and end up choosing a wrong one. Having a look at the reviews and ratings from product to product, will help you understand the true worth of the product.
When it comes to electronic tools, you always get what you pay for. The price range of gas-powered chainsaws is anywhere from $80 to $600 based on the features and brand popularity.
If you have a tight budget, you will have non-professional and good quality chainsaws. However, make sure to read the customer reviews and rating beforehand. And also closely checkout some safety features like power, ergonomics, safety features and even customer service.
18. Durability and Warranty
If you are using your gas chainsaw for cutting a lot of wood, you can face issues over a long period of time. As a result, you should get gas chainsaws that are durable enough. The easiest way to make sure that the given chainsaw is durable enough is to get one with a decent warranty duration. While most of the gas chainsaw options out there offer a 2-year warranty, some of them even come with a 4 year-long warranty.
You can also check the build quality offered by a gas chainsaw. Such gas chainsaws with longer warranty periods and decent build quality can easily last for a long time. The chain material offered by a chainsaw is also quite important to check. Any gas chainsaw that comes with carbide chains can easily last for a long time without needing to replace the chains.
Benefits of Using a Gas Chainsaw
As you already know, there are other types of chainsaws apart from gas operated model. For handling heavier tasks, gas chainsaws are the most preferred ones. Apart from that, there are several other advantages of choosing a gas chainsaw. We have provided the information below.
- Power – Compared to other models, gas chainsaws are considered the most powerful option. As the chain spins much faster and tougher, it can easily cut through wood of any thickness.
- Guide Bar Length – Gas chainsaws come in several options when it comes to length. This lets you choose the right guide bar for your type of jobs. 72inches or 6feet is the longest blade length available with gas powered chainsaws.
- Mobility – They let you prune or cut regardless of where and when you use it. Usually, electric chainsaws are limited extension cord length and when it comes to battery chainsaws, they require power source to recharge. But gas chainsaws don’t have any such limitations. As long as you have the fuel in the tank, you are good to go.
- Safety – Apart from being powerful, gas powered chainsaws also come with several advanced safety features that are specially designed to safeguard the user. Some models come with inertia-activated chain brake – which stops the chain spinning whenever kickback happens. Such safety features are rare when it comes to other models.
- More Options – As gas chainsaw models are pretty popular than the rest, they are available in a wide array of options. You can easily find gas model that suits your specific needs without any adjustment or having to give up on any feature. When it comes to electric or battery models, limited options are available to choose from.
What is the Safest Way to Use Gas Chainsaw?
As per recent statistics, over 100,000 chainsaw related injuries occur every year in United States of America. So, you should never be careless while using a chainsaw. Operating chainsaw is a dangerous task which can be fatal if they are not experienced or if proper safety precautions are not undertaken.
First thing to always to consider is to check the manufacturer and owner’s manual instructions. It is helpful to use, operate or maintain the chainsaw safely.
- For example, when you have to prune or fell trees, you should always make sure the area where you are working should be clear. And make sure to handle the pruning or felling task only when there is high winds or other severe weather conditions.
- Before cutting the tree or its branches, make sure they don’t fall on property like homes, cars or even power lines.
- Make sure to use PPE every single time. This protection gear includes heavy work boots, thick pants and sleeves, chainsaw chaps, heavy work gloves, hardhat, eye and ear protection. Remember that it is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Always keep the chainsaw either on the ground of between the legs (and the blade part should face outward). Make sure to grip the handlebar, press throttle trigger and start pulling the rope to engage.
- After giving a few pills, it will pop but it will not start. In that time period, you have to disengage the choke and pull the rope starter again. Make sure set the saw idle by tapping throttle trigger before operating.
- While operating the chainsaw, beware of your balance and footing. Because any mis-steps or slips can be fatal and dangerous in least.
- Be cautious of pinching and kickback, position of the saw, and bar tip. Use a firm two-handed grip and balanced stance. Take good care and maintenance of the machine between the uses. This not only keeps you safe but also makes sure the machine is durable and long lasting.
Things to Avoid While Using a Gas Chainsaw
- Never use a chainsaw that has loose, damaged or missing parts.
- Avoid drop starting the machine if you are controlling it only with one hand or when the chain is touching any part of your or other human body.
- Don’t make any adjustments to the chain or part of the chainsaw while in operation.
- Never leave the chainsaw unattended, especially there are pets and kids running around.
- It is prevented to use a chainsaw when you are alone. It is better to have a partner nearby to maintain the work area clear while you pruning or felling trees.
If you are a beginner, make sure to take chainsaw safety classes. You can sign up for them at any local extension service offices. There are several people who can give your proper advice and hands-on guidance on how to work with chainsaw comfortably.
How to Prepare Gas and Oil Mixture for a Chainsaw?
If you are considering to mix fuel by yourself, then make sure you have a fuel container with cap, two stroke engine oil, and high octane fuel of your choice.
While mixing the gasoline with oil, the ratio has to be 40:1 or 50:1 based on the manufacturer guidelines. Gasoline with higher octane will burn much slower and also run cooler in 2-cycle motors which are commonly found in gas-powered chainsaws.
We recommend to use premium gasoline of at least 89 to prevent any piston seizure of elevated temperature. To extend the shelf life, it is recommended to add fuel stabilizer, especially if you are not going to use it over couple of months or more.
Note: If you are experiencing any trouble with measurements while mixing the gasoline mixture, you can go for childproof, premixed gasoline container with stabilizer, oil, and gasoline. They are available in equipment and tool stores. These containers come with measurements or marks.
Though, the chainsaw contains a different reservoir for chain and oil, don’t misunderstand it with oil that is required by your engine. Chain and bar oil are especially present for chains as it has to glide over the guide bar. The oil lubrication keeps it from binding up or overheating.
How to Maintain or Take Proper Care of Chainsaw
Just like any other machine or device, basic care and regular maintenance is important to maintain the shelf life. To maintain it properly, all you have to do it invest a little bit of time after every use.
- Make sure you are using gasoline with proper combination ratio of oil and gas. Remember you are using chain and bar oil to ensure engine is running properly and smoothly.
- After every use, make sure to clear all the sawdust and other dirt that has accumulated to oil ports, guide bar grooves, stick and around power sprocket.
- Check out the chain sharpness as dulled edges will work less efficiently. Make sure to place the strain on motor so that is can run longer to complete the task. Make sure to check for any damage, wear and bad links.
- Regularly check and clan the air filter and spark plug. In order to make the engine work smoothly, proper air flow is important which can be achieved by a clean spark plug with correct gap. If the spark plug or air filter are dirty, then it can strain the engine and prevent it from starting.
- It is important to replace the fuel once in every 2 months. For a clean running engine, make sure to clean the fuel filter regularly. In order to do that – drain the tank, fish out the screen and wash it using a solvent before replacing.
- Check out the chainsaw and its parts are clean as required. Perform a periodic cleaning and adjustment on cooling fins, oiler, carburettor and exhaust system.
Best Chainsaw Brands
There are several brands to choose from but not everyone is trustworthy. Below we have provided some reliable brands with reviews.
- Stihl – it has over 90 years of experience in manufacturing power tools. They primarily focus on chainsaws. It is considered a trusted brand by people because of functionality and reliability.
- Husqvarna – This brand is actually the main foundation of power tools. It has been a producer of outdoor equipment for over 329 years.
- Remington – It was founded in 1921 and has become popular by word of mouth and producing reliable and high quality products. They have been one of the top brands in the market.
- Craftsman – It started in the year 1920s. because of its quality, it has come a long way in the development of chainsaws over the year. It has become a common household name when it comes to chainsaws.
While gas chainsaws are much louder when compared with electric options, these usually offer much better performance. Therefore, these are quite popular among professional lumberjacks and you can find a lot of options out there. Hence, we have mentioned some of the best options in this article along with their differences and a detailed buying guide. But, if you are still confused and can’t find the perfect gas chainsaw, here are some of our recommendations:
- If you want a highly powerful gas chainsaw, then you can go with the Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw. As per its name, it comes with a large 24-inch cutting blade that is much larger than other options present in this article. And this blade is powered by a 60.3 CC engine that is quite powerful for most users. Since Husqvarna is a highly reputable brand, you also get a great build quality and a 2 year warranty period.
- While Remington is a popular brand of power tools and chains, the Remington Gas Chainsaw is the most reliable and durable options present in this article. This is due to the reason that apart from offering a great build quality, you also get a 2-year long warranty with this chainsaw. And since it has a blade size of 18 inches that is powered by a 46 CC engine, you get a great balance between size and performance.
- Although, if you are on a budget, and want an affordable gas chainsaw option, then you can go with the Poulan Pro Gas Chainsaw. Since it is a renewed chainsaw and not a brand new product, it has a significantly lower price tag. It comes with a 42 CC engine that is quite powerful for its given compact size. And the compact size and light body of this gas chainsaw make it a great option if you travel with your chainsaw quite a lot.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!
Table of Contents
Looking to buy a gas chainsaw for 2021?
But don’t know where to start?
If so, you’ve landed on the right page.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to find the best gas chainsaw for all of your yard projects that also fits within your budget.
The truth is, there’s a whole world of gas chainsaws out there, but once you’re done reading this page, you’ll know how to cut through the clutter to find the best gas powered chainsaw for your needs.
First, we’ll start with the advantages that gas chainsaws have over the competition (electric and battery powered), then move onto some top features you should look for, and end with a list of the top gas chainsaws you can buy today.
Along the way, you’ll also find answers to common questions you may have about these machines so you walk away knowing everything there is about these tools.
It’s also beneficial to know how to take care of your gas chainsaw to prevent it not starting up. You can check out these preventative measures in my guide Chainsaw Won’t Start? 10 Most Common Reasons With Solutions.
So, let’s get started.
I can’t wait to help you find the best gas chainsaw for the money!
Disclosure: The chainsaws recommended below are my top favorites because they have a great combination of quality and features. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases made through the links as a way to support this site. If you buy a qualifying product, you’re not charged anything extra, but I’ll get a small commission to help pay for my expenses. I hope you find my advice helpful and discover the best chainsaw for your needs on this list.
Best Gas Chainsaws Reviewed in This Guide
Here’s a quick comparison chart showing the top gas chainsaws. I’ll go in depth about each one later in the gas chainsaw reviews section, but this gives you a sense of what’s available and a simple way to quickly compare them.
Advantages to Using a Gas Chainsaw
If you’re already dead set on buying a gas powered chainsaw, then you can skip this first section.
However, if you’re not completely sure why gas chainsaws outshine electric and battery powered chainsaws, then keep reading.
The information below will help you better understand the top benefits you’ll enjoy.
- Power — Gas chainsaws are the most powerful type you can buy. The chain spins faster—and is tougher—and cuts through wood at a faster rate.
- Guide Bar Length — These chainsaws come in all sorts of lengths. This gives you the flexibility to match the guide bar and chain to any job. The longest blade you’ll find on a gas powered chainsaw is 72 inches (or 6 feet)!
- Mobility — Gas powered chainsaws allow you go cut wherever, whenever. Unlike electric chainsaws that are restricted by the length of an extension cord and battery chainsaws that need a power source to recharge, gas chainsaws have no such limitations. As long as you have a tank of fuel, you’re good to go.
- Safety — Although these chainsaws are more powerful, they also have more advanced safety features to keep your protected. Some models include an Inertia-Activated Chain Brake to stop the chain from spinning when a kickback occurs. (More on this in the next section.) Features like this are hard to find in other types of chainsaws.
- More Options — Since gas chainsaws are the most popular type, they simply have more options to choose between. You can find a gas model that meets your specific needs without having to give up on any particular features. There are only a few brands that make electric and battery models, so your range of picks are more limited.
The Best Gas Powered Chainsaw Features
When you’re shopping for a gas powered chainsaw, you’ll undoubtedly come across a mix of included features.
However, there are a few basic things you want to look out for when comparing chainsaws that will help you get the best one that matches your needs.
Guide Bar (Blade) Length
This is the most important feature you should consider when buying a gas chainsaw.
Because the length of the guide bar and chain will determine how thick of a piece of wood you can cut. Which, in turn, affects the types of woodcutting projects you can perform, such as taking down trees, slicing up firewood, cutting down branches, etc.
The guide bar is sometimes referred to as the “blade”. And this blade is what the chain is connected to and spins around to cut wood.
Guide bars come in a variety of lengths, but on gas chainsaws, you’ll likely find a range between 12 to 72 inches. For the casual lumberjack and homeowner, a size between 12 to 20 inches is ideal. Anything above 20 inches is considered a “professional-grade” chainsaw. (My #4 review below includes a 24-inch chainsaw for heavy duty work).
When it comes to selecting the right size chainsaw for your tree projects, you’ll want a machine that has the correct blade length for cutting and ensuring your safety.
A general rule of thumb is to use a chainsaw blade that’s at least 2 inches longer than the wood you want to cut. That gives you the proper clearance to prevent injuries from kickback (a sudden thrust of the saw blade back towards the operator).
Here are common gas chainsaw lengths and their associated tasks:
- 12 to 14 inches — Pruning and trimming branches
- 16 to 18 inches — Cutting up firewood and felling small trees
- 20 to 24 inches — Felling large trees and slicing thicker logs
My gas chainsaw reviews below include the top options for each of these types of projects.
All chainsaws require you to lubricate the guide bar and chain. This oiling process keeps those components from getting overheated and damaged.
The way you oil the bar and chain will differ depending on the chainsaw you select. There are three oiling methods and no one method is better than the other. It really comes down to the style you like best.
I personally like the third option below, Automatic Oiler (Adjustable Flow), because it offers the best of both worlds: a steady flow of oil to the bar and chain, and the ability to increase or decrease the amount of oil based on the job at hand.
Here’s how each type of oiler works:
- Manual Oiler – Uses a button to oil the bar and chain. You control when the oiling happens and the amount of lubrication.
- Automatic Oiler (Fixed Flow) – Self-oiling system that delivers a constant flow of lubrication to the chainsaw components. Flow cannot be increased or decreased.
- Automatic Oiler (Adjustable Flow) – Self-oiling system that also allows you to adjust the amount of lubrication up or down.
Chain Brake System
At some point and time, even the most careful chainsaw operator will experience “kickback”.
Kickback is a sudden rotational thrust of the chainsaw blade back toward the operator that can cause an accidental cut to the upper regions of the body, including the face.
It occurs when the tip of the chain catches on a hard object or the chain gets pinched between wood while cutting.
A chain brake is a safety mechanism that stops the chain from spinning when kickback happens and it comes in two types: Manual and Inertia-Activated.
Here’s how each type of chain brake works:
- Manual Chain Brake – The chain stops spinning when physical contact is made with a wide bar that’s situated in front of the top handlebar. Usually, this bar will hit your wrist to trigger the chain brake.
- Intertia-Activated Chain Brake – The chain stops spinning when a sudden upward force of the bar is encountered. Operates from an internal mechanism and doesn’t require physical contact to trigger the chain brake.
Both types of chain brakes are safe for operating a gas powered chainsaw; however, an Intertia-Activated Chain Brake is the more advanced option of the two. This added feature does often increase the price of the chainsaw.
Chain Tensioner Type
Chainsaw chains take a beating. And that means they have to be adjusted from time to time.
This is especially true with new chainsaws since the chain is fresh off the assembly line and hasn’t been broken in yet. New chainsaw chains have a tendency to stretch.
Therefore, all chainsaws have a way for you to adjust the chain tension.
There are two popular types of chain tensioners: one that uses a special tool and one that doesn’t.
I prefer the Tool-Less ChainTensioner type since it’s, well, tool-less. But, here’s how each method works:
- Scrench Chain Tensioner – This type is performed by hand using a special tool called a “Scrench” which is a combination of a screwdriver and wrench. It’s used to turn a bolt or screw on the chainsaw to tighten or loosen the chains.
- Tool-Less Chain Tensioner – This type doesn’t require a tool. Instead, the chain tension is adjusted with a knob. Hence the word “Tool-Less” in the name.
If you’re buying a gas chainsaw, chance are you’re doing some serious tree cutting work.
And for that reason, Bucking Spikes are a good thing to look for.
Bucking Spikes are sharp metal spikes that are connected to the body of the chainsaw and located at the base of the blade. You dig them into the trunk of a tree log to support the machine while you’re cutting.
Bucking Spikes make it easier for you to cut thick trees, perform straighter cuts, and add a source of protection against kickback.
Gas Chainsaw Reviews & Buying Guide
Now that we’ve covered how some of the most important features work on a chainsaw, we can move onto the list of the best gas chainsaws you can buy.
What I tried to do in these gas chainsaw reviews is to recommend a high-quality tool for every person’s needs.
What you’ll find below is a detailed list of the top chainsaws for each size guide bar and chain. I’ll start small at 12 inches and work my way up to the longest gas powered chainsaw for semi-professional use at 24 inches.
Some of these models are also featured on my top rated chainsaws page which also includes electric and battery powered models.
But you’ll find the best gas chainsaw for your money here.
Best Gas Powered Chainsaw List
1. Tanaka TCS33EDTP Gas Chainsaw
If you’re an aspiring arborist who wants to cut trees for a living, this is a handy chainsaw to have in your toolkit.
One thing you’ll notice is that it only has a top handle.
That feature makes it a commercial-grade chainsaw that’s designed for pruning and shaping trees while high up in a harness. But others have also used it for bucking tree trunks to make the job of splitting firewood easier.
This chainsaw is clearly for experienced users, but I felt it was a good option to have on this list because some of you may want to take your chainsaw skills to the next level.
Additionally, it’s really hard to find a 12-inch (or smaller) gas chainsaw. You have to go with an electric or battery operated chainsaw to get a smaller blade.
However, if this looks like the tool for you, you’ll be happy to know that it has a Pure Fire Engine that produces ultra-low emissions, an Automatic (Fixed Flow) Oiler for perfect chain lubrication, Anti-Vibration System for easier handling, a Manual Chain Brake, and a built-in lanyard ring for climbing high up in the trees with it.
A Tool-Less Chain Tensioner would’ve been nice on this model, but the Side Access Chain Tensioning System is not hard to use and the required tool comes included in the box.
See Amazon Reviews
2. Remington RM4214 Gas Chainsaw
For most homeowners and casual suburban lumberjacks, a 14-inch gas chainsaw is all you really need.
The trees in suburb life are usually not thick enough to warrant a bigger chainsaw.
The 14-inch length makes it an excellent tool for trimming small to medium-sized limbs and cutting down smaller trees. However, it’s still capable of felling or bucking a large 28-inch trunk if you take two opposite passes with the blade.
The best parts of this machine are the Quickstart Technology for smoother starting, a top-of-the-line Automatic (Adjustable Flow) Oiler for perfect chain lubrication, and a 5-point Anti-Vibration System for taking all of the stress out of handling this tool.
A convenient Tool-Less Chain Tensioner System is included for fast chain adjustments as well as a Manual Chain Brake and Bucking Spikes for the safest operation.
If you’re looking for one of the best gas powered chainsaws you can use season after season, this is it.
See Amazon Reviews
3. Remington RM4216 Gas Chainsaw
Now, you may be wondering why I’m recommending another Remington chainsaw next on this list.
Of course, there are other manufacturers of chainsaws out there that offer 16-inch machines but what makes this one of the best chainsaws of this size are all of the features mentioned in the last review.
This Remington model packs everything you need for safe and sturdy operation and comes with a longer blade size. It’s also one of the cheapest gas chainsaws you can buy.
No other chainsaw at this price point offers an Automatic (Adjustable Flow) Oiler and a 5-Point Anti-Vibration System.
If you want a great middle-of-the-road chainsaw that can tackle a variety of wood cutting tasks, this is a clear winner.
See Amazon Reviews
4. Husqvarna 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
Husqvarna is a top brand of chainsaws and has a strong reputation for making high-quality tools.
Chances are if you’ve seen someone using a brightly-colored orange chainsaw from afar, it was likely a Husqvarna.
What makes this 18-inch gas powered chainsaw ideal for most homeowners and landowners is that it’s a high powered, heavy duty machine that’s super light and easy to use.
In fact, the 455 Rancher weighs less than 11 pounds which is half the weight of the previous (smaller) 16-inch gas chainsaw review at 22 pounds.
In addition to power and maneuverability, this machine is packed with an upgraded X-Torq Engine that lowers emissions by 60% and reduces fuel consumption by 20%. This allows you to cut for longer periods of time and save cash on fuel.
Another standout feature is the Centrifugal Air Cleaning System that keeps large dust out of the air filter which results in fewer cleanings and longer-lasting chainsaw.
If you weren’t already impressed with this machine, the Inertia-Activated Chain Brake, Bucking Spikes, and Automatic (Adjustable Flow) Oiler may be the only other features you needed to hear about to convince that this is a great buy.
Overall, I’d consider this the best gas chainsaw for the money that delivers professional-level results at a reasonable price.
See Amazon Reviews
5. Poulan Pro PR5020 Gas Chainsaw
If you’re looking for something a bit mightier than my last review, this chainsaw won’t disappoint.
In fact, the 20-inch guide bar is the biggest size chainsaw you can get before entering into the territory of professional-grade saws.
If you want a gas powered chainsaw that’s perfect for felling trees, bucking trunks, and splitting firewood that’s not too expensive, this is a great choice.
The special OxyPower Engine Technology will also save you money in the long run because it produces 70% fewer emissions and has 20% lower fuel consumption. It also makes working with the tool easier since the air around you is cleaner.
The best part, however, is that it’s one of the only chainsaws that includes an Inertia-Activated Chain Brake—the safest type available.
A Side-Mounted Chain Tensioning System does require a special tool for quick chain adjustments. But fortunately, it’s integrated into the rear handle.
I also wish it had an Automatic (Adjustable Flow) Oiler for more precision oiling but the Fixed Flow version does get the job done by keeping your bar and chain well lubricated at all times. And that’s all that really matters.
See Amazon Reviews
6. Blue Max 8901 Gas Powered Chainsaw
Although this is not a well-known brand when compared to the other best gas powered chainsaws, I added it to my list for two reasons:
- You get two blades in one kit (14 and 20-inches)
- The price is a steal for the casual user
Obviously, there’s a big difference in the quality of the parts in this machine compared to Husqvarna and Poulan Pro, but for someone who plans to only do occasional yard work, it’s a heck of a deal.
A 14-inch bar is a great size for most tree trimming projects, but the included 20-inch bar is what makes it so attractive. You can tackle tougher jobs without skipping a beat.
Like most of the other gas powered chainsaws on this list, this model includes the necessary Bucking Spikes, Manual Chain Brake, and Automatic (Fixed Flow) Oiler.
If you want a deal, don’t plan on felling massive amounts of trees—and like the color— give this one a try.
See Amazon Reviews
7. Husqvarna 460 Gas Powered Chainsaw
This last chainsaw is a monster machine.
And its bar length just crosses the line into being a professional-grade tool.
If you liked the look and features of my #4 chainsaw review but wanted something a bit beefier, this is going to be your top choice.
This Husqvarna 460 gas chainsaw includes everything that the 455 model has but comes with a 24-inch bar and chain. That makes it a beast for tackling the toughest tree cutting jobs.
If you need a workhorse of a tool for taking down large Oaks, Maples, and Pines, then look no further. This gas chainsaw has all of the power you need without worrying about any hiccups.
Just be prepared. Once you try it, it may be hard to put down.
See Amazon Reviews
Carbide Tip Chain
One of the most frustrating things you can encounter when using a chainsaw is accidentally dulling the chain.
And once that happens, the chainsaw will cut much slower or not at all.
Even if you’re extremely careful, it’s still quite easy to dull a chainsaw chain.
All it takes is a fraction of a second for the teeth to hit the dirt, saw dirty wood, or hit a nail and then you have to either manually sharpen each tooth or purchase a replacement.
A good investment for any chainsaw user is to upgrade their existing chain with one that has Carbide tips. Carbide chains can better withstand those unfortunate encounters with dirt, nails, and other objects that dull a chain fast, and still stay sharp enough to keep cutting.
Carbide tipped chains don’t come cheap.
You’ll pay about $50 or more for a chain with Carbide tips. But if you’re going to be cutting tree stumps, dirty wood, or timber with any chance of having nails (or metal) in it, Carbide chainsaw chains are well worth the investment.
When upgrading your current chain to a Carbide one, just make sure you get the proper match of length, pitch, and gauge of your existing chain.
Even with this type of chain, it’s a good idea to buy a chainsaw sharpener. That way, you can get more longevity out of the chain.
See my best electric chainsaw sharpener reviews for a few ideas.
When comparing gas chainsaw, you may come across some models that indicate they have a fuel gauge.
While this may sound like a fancy feature, it’s nothing more than a plastic window that lets you see the level of the fuel inside the gas tank without removing the cap.
Is it a nice feature to have?
But is it worth choosing one chainsaw over another that includes it?
Chainsaw Body Width
Some arborists and professional chainsaw operators will tell you to get the thinnest body chainsaw you can.
The reason being is that compact gas powered chainsaws are easier to work with.
A narrow body means less overall weight, an easier tool to carry, and potential to maneuver in tight cutting spots.
However, for a regular homeowner or farmer, body width is not usually a huge concern. Since you’re most likely only using the chainsaw occasionally, you can often put up with a wider body.
But if you do want the thinnest chainsaw you can find, it’s good to shop around. My top gas chainsaws listed above range between 9 to 12 inches in width. That’s a standard length for high-quality, affordable chainsaws.
What is a Choke?
If you’ve never used a machine with 2-cycle engine before, then the act of using a “choke” may seem foreign to you.
Every 2-cycle gas powered chainsaw uses a choke to help it get started.
The purpose of the choke is to restrict airflow while starting the engine. This enriches the fuel-air mixture when starting a cold chainsaw and helps it stay running while it warms up.
Once the chainsaw has been running for a few minutes, you can then turn off the choke since it’s not needed anymore.
Gas powered chainsaw engines are measured in cubic centimeters (CC).
The higher the CC number, the more powerful the engine.
Examples of engine sizes for chainsaws include 46 cc, 55.5 cc, 59.8 cc, and 61 cc.
The power of a chainsaw’s engine is measured in horsepower (HP).
Horsepower is simply a measurement of power that indicates the rate at which work is done.
The higher the HP number, the mower powerful the engine.
Examples of horsepower for chainsaws include 2 hp, 3.5 hp, 4 hp, and 4.7 hp
The speed of a chainsaw’s chain is measured in revolutions per minute (RPMs).
RPMs indicate how fast the chain can spin in a given unit of time time.
The higher the RPM number, the faster the chain rotates.
Examples of revolutions per minute for chainsaws include 9,000 rpm, 10,500 rpm, 12,000 rmp, and 13,500 rpm.
A longer chainsaw guide bar is not necessarily better.
It’s always best to match the guide bar and chain length to the task at hand.
For example, if you’re just doing some light pruning of thin branches, then a 12 to 14-inch gas chainsaw is a perfect match. If you’re cutting down a thick tree, then a 20 to 24-inch chainsaw may be what’s required.
For most homeowners and casual operators, a 14 to 16-inch chainsaw is plenty long enough for most jobs around the house and yard.
The fact is, the longer the bar, the more likelihood of dangerous kickback can occur. Plus, these bigger chainsaws are harder to control and maneuver.
Price Matters (But Not Much)
Generally speaking, the more expensive a gas powered chainsaw is, the better quality parts it includes. This means it will last longer than a cheaper substitute.
However, most people who are not cutting trees every day of their life (i.e. professionally) will never wear out a cheaper priced chainsaw.
Keep that in mind when you’re making your selection for the best gas chainsaw for the money.
Related Post:Best Cheap Chainsaw List
Special Features Can Be Found
In some cases, you can buy the same chainsaw with or without specific features.
This can increase or decrease the price of the chainsaw to meet your budget.
Don’t care about a Tool-Less Chain Tensioner?
Prefer to have a Manual Oiler instead of an Automatic (Adjustable Flow) Oiler? Want an Inertia-Activated Chain Brake instead of a Manual version?
You may just be able to get the exact chainsaw you want if you dig around a bit.
My gas powered chainsaw reviews above include the best combination of features for most users.
Hopefully, you like what each machine has to offer.
Related Post:Best Homeowner Chainsaw List
Safety Gear Is Not Optional
Safety should always be your top priority no matter how small or large the cutting task.
It’s never a good idea to use your chainsaw in just a t-shirt and jeans.
The proper protection includes a helmet, pair of safety glasses (or helmet with a face shield), hearing protection, leather or cust-resistant gloves, and special chain saw chaps to protect your legs.
Related Post:Best Chainsaw Safety Equipment
Closing Thoughts on My Best Gas Chainsaw for the Money Reviews
If you reached this part of my guide, then you should feel well equipped for how to find the best gas chainsaw for your needs.
As you learned, gas is still king.
When it comes to quality, performance, and functionality, the best gas powered chainsaw models can’t be beat.
However, I know that gas tools are not for everyone.
If after reading my gas chainsaw reviews you’re still not sure if you want to purchase a gas tool, then take a look at these other two guides I wrote. One shows you how to pick the best electric chainsaw models that plug into any standard power outlet and the other shows you how to find the best battery chainsaw model that doesn’t need a cord.
I’m sure you’ll uncover the perfect chainsaw for your needs in one of those posts.
I hope you enjoyed this guide on finding the best gas chainsaw for the money.
Buy Chainsaws Online at Moglix!
Chainsaws are a portable type of saws equipped with teeth attached to a rotating saw. It is primarily used for cutting purpose. A chain saw is used in a wide range of activities such as tree falling, limbing etc. One of highly versatile gardening tools, it is suitable for usage in the management of gardens. To help users keep their gardens in a perfect working condition, we have sourced the newest range of chainsaws available in the Indian market. The products which we have on offer have been created by leading brands in the market such as Makita, KBI, Xtra Power, Green Kraft etc. They are highly compact and mobile which makes them ideal for usage in gardens, parks & lawns.
Different Types of Chainsaws Available Online At Moglix
We deal in a wide range of chain saws machine models. Some of the different types of chainsaws are mentioned below:-
Petrol Chainsaws - The petrol chainsaws available online which we are offering as a part of our collection are strong, highly durable. They are lightweight and cause minimal hand fatigue to the user. They have been designed to tough sawing requirements. The petrol chainsaws which we are offering as a part of this range are ideal for usage in home gardens and DIY projects.
These chainsaws come with modern designer features, new vibration damping system and low emissions. The saws have a lower vibration and are equipped with a 2 stroke engine. Their chain breaks are equipped with an instant standstill which ensures that the saw doesn’t kick back when it is in use.
The automatic lubrication ensures a constant flow of oil through the guide bar which enhances chain life. The petrol chain saws machine price has been kept within a competitive range to suit the budget of buyers.
Electric Chainsaws - The electric chain saws offered online here are ideal for usage in noise-sensitive environments or indoors. They offer high cutting performance are quiet, exhaust-free and easy to use. These electric chainsaw machines features are equipped with your Quick Chain Tensioning (B), overload protection and QuickStop Super Chain Brake (Q).
They offer greater operational comfort and offer neat performance without any noise and exhaust. We are also offering electrically extendable chainsaws and cordless electric chainsaws.
Gas chainsaws - Our collection of gas chainsaw machines available online come with professional grade features. They are suitable for cutting firewood on a regular basis. These gas powered chainsaws for sale have more power as compared to the new range of ranch and farm saws you would come across on a daily basis.
The gas powered chainsaws we are offering for sale are ideal for cutting wood. They can be used in the most challenging environments and have an easy start. They are easy to operate and maintain also.
Different Models of Chainsaws Offered By Moglix
At Moglix, we deal in a wide range of chainsaws. Some of them are mentioned below:-
30 Inch Chainsaws - The 30 inch high power chainsaws which we have on offer are highly effective in felling and bucking trees which have a large diameter. They are precision balanced which makes them easy to handle.
24 Inch Chainsaws - The 24-inch chainsaw for sale available here are equipped with a two cycle engine. The air purge smart start offers easy to start and is equipped with a side-mounted chain tensioner.
Stihl MS170 Chainsaws - The Stihl ms170 chainsaws are lightweight, highly compact and can be used for cutting small trees and fallen limbs after the occurrence of a storm etc.
Stihl 025 Chainsaws - Stihl 025 chainsaws are ideal for use in homes as well as workshops. They can handle serious work on a regular basis.
Leading Brands of Chainsaws Offered By Moglix
At Moglix, we deal in chainsaw saw machines from some of the leading brands in the market such as Makita, Xtra Tower, Josch, Bosch, Cumi, Falcon etc. The details of these brands are mentioned below: -
Makita chainsaws - The Makita chainsaws which we offer as a part of this collection are equipped with a 2-stroke engine which complies with exhaust emission regulations strictly. They are equipped with a spring-assisted recoil and primer pump. The low vibration caused by the adopting rubber & spring makes these chainsaws easy to handle by users. Makita chainsaws have a light weight which makes them ideal for long term usage.
Xtra Tower chainsaws - The Xtra Power chainsaws which we offer as a part of this collection have a high no-load speed. Their sturdy motor enables them to be used for falling trees and limbing with a high level of perfection.
Hi-Max chainsaws - The Hi-Max petrol chainsaws offered by Moglix have a 2-stroke engine feature. The high-power input of these petrol chainsaws makes them ideal for usage in not just gardening but other areas such as agriculture, logistics, health care, art, fashion etc.
Stihl Chainsaws - The Stihl chainsaws available online as a part of this collection are equipped with a bike handle. They have an anti-vibration system and sharp cutting blades which make them suitable for usage in DIY projects, tree felling, limbing, construction purpose etc. The Stihl chainsaws available online as a part of our collection have a long lifespan also.
These chainsaw machines can also be used for mowing grass, scrub and clearing vegetation. The ElastroStart system makes sure that there is smooth easy starting. A four point anti-vibration system and fully adjustable bike handle to make sure that the operator experiences maximum comfort.
We also have electric chainsaws from other brands available in the market such as Yuri, Trumax, King, Gardena, Bosch, Makita, and Cumi. The chainsaw prices have been kept within a wide range to meet up with expectations of buyers.
An Assortment of Options Makes Online Buying a Comfortable Experience
At Moglix, we deal in a wide range of chainsaws such as mini chainsaws, small chainsaws, power chain saws, cordless chainsaws etc. Keeping the convenience factor of buyers in mind, we have updated our category with all details related to specifications to ensure that the buyer can acquire the best chainsaw to satisfy his needs.
Why Acquire Chainsaws from Moglix?
At Moglix, we are aware of the major concerns that buyers have while looking for chainsaws. To match up to their expectations, we have procured the newest range of chainsaws which can be used in farms, gardens and lawns. The products procured by us undergo quality tests before being dispatched for delivery. Therefore, buyer can be assured of receiving the chainsaws in the best working condition.
The chainsaw prices have been kept within a competitive range. Therefore, you can select from the assortment of options which we have on offer. The products which we are offering as a part of this online collection have sourced keeping in touch with the changing needs of buyers. All products undergo quality tests before being dispatched for delivery. Therefore to acquire chainsaws of the best quality, you can browse through the assortment of Chainsaws options which we have on offer.
Sale gas chain saws for
Despite my worries, I started flowing again. It seemed to me that from the moment I stroked Borka, I was constantly leaking. Some time ago, I would never have believed that this could happen to me.What Are The Best Husqvarna Chainsaws to Buy?
And we left in silence. Yuri's life flowed steadily and unhurriedly, like that of thousands of Soviet citizens. Home, work, beer on weekdays, vodka on weekends. A moderately grumpy wife, a moderately eccentric daughter, 18-year-old, a pretty creature, in general, like everyone else.
- Average age of ufc fighter
- Hiv rash images on face
- Bewitched season 7 episode 10
- Best community colleges in hawaii
- Hair salons on 18th street
- Ben 10 season 4 toys
- Ancheer electric mountain bike review
- 26 x 79 interior door
- Flower dance piano sheet pdf
- Palm harbor homes interior options
- Vintage wedding theme ideas 1940s
Every man imagines himself the one and only male, a kind of sexual giant. It is important to walk between females, spreading your tail in the hope of their favor. I've seen enough of this in my own world. My name is Lilith Ero and by the will of fate or fate, I found myself in a parallel world.